Friday, April 08, 2016

Interview with James R Ford

We caught up with one of the blogs favourite rca secret artists James R Ford for a second interview (the first one was way back in 2011).

You almost missed out on donating cards this year, you must be pleased that is now sorted?

Definitely! I look forward to the cards each year. It’s my chance to give something back and test out ideas in (now) foreign waters. I normally use the cards as a way to experiment with new work.

What's your view on how RCA secret has changed over the years - the sponsorship, the new venue in Dubai etc.

It’s definitely grown and developed, but the core principles remain. I’m unsure of the new delay in collection of the cards - flipping it over and seeing the artist’s name and signature after hours of waiting was part of the experience.

We assume that now you're based in New Zealand you don't have much chance to see the show in the flesh. Will you be logging on in April to look at the cards online?

That’s very true - I haven’t seen it in the flesh in over 7 years! I always have a look at the cards online and try to guess the famous artists. It’s a form of window shopping.

What card or cards that you've done in previous years are you most pleased with?

I’m struggling to remember them all. I liked the ones I did last year - they were simple drawings using pen and colour pencil and were very punny.

How old was Elvis Presley when he died ;) ?
 
Haha 42! Those cards of mine were from 2 or 3 years ago. An example of an idea for a series of works that has yet to manifest...

Any clues as to this year's donations?

The biggest clue I can give you is that my donations this year could potentially be a multitude of things.

What projects are in the pipeline for you?  Might we see a show in the UK anytime soon?
 
I showed in a couple of group exhibitions in London last year at/curated by FourFold and Ferreira Projects. I have a solo show coming up in early May in Wellington at The Young gallery. It will feature a suite of new drawings, a ghost full of holes and a text installation.

No comments: